Unlike singles badminton, the boundaries of a doubles game are marked by the outer lines of the court. The one exception to this rule is that the server uses the inner back line. The net on a doubles badminton court is set at 5 feet high.
In this regard, what are the rules for doubles badminton?
One may also ask, are badminton lines in or out of court?
A serve or shot that lands outside the court boundaries, passes under or through the net, touches any other obstructions or a players body or clothing. The boundary and service lines are considered in play.
What are the general rules of badminton?
- A match consists of the best of three games of 21 points.
- The player/pair winning a rally adds a point to its score.
- At 20-all, the player/pair which first gains a 2-point lead wins that game.
- At 29-all, the side scoring the 30th point wins that game.
- The player/pair winning a game serves first in the next game.
Badminton Courts have a length of 44′ (13.4 m), but double courts are 20′ (6.1 m) wide while single courts are reduced to 17′ (5.18 m); shrinking by 1.5′ (. 46 m) on both sides.
The difference between singles and doubles in badminton includes the number of players on court, the court dimensions, and the service rules. In singles, there is one player on each end of the court while in doubles, there are two players on each end of the court.
According to the new rule, “the whole of the shuttle shall be below 1.15 metres from the surface of the court at the instant of being hit by the server’s racket”. Basically, the point of contact at the start of the serve cannot be more than 1.15 meters from the court.
A singles service court is a box made from four lines:
- The centre line.
- A singles side line (inside side line)
- The front service line.
- The back line (the outside one, all the way at the back)
In doubles: Only one player in a partnership is allowed to hit the shuttle. If both players touch the shuttle with their racket, it’s a double hit.
1. A match consists of the best of 3 games of 21 points (games cap at 30 points). Each game starts at 0-0. If the match goes to the third game that third game will be played to 15.